[Samba] WindowsPE 10.0 -- Samba 4.4.5 connection problem

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Mon Aug 8 18:33:37 UTC 2016

On 08/08/2016 08:17 AM, Ralf Aumüller wrote:
>> In which case, what ever user is going to connect to the Samba server
>> will need to exist on it, as both a Unix & Samba user. The user will
>> need to have the same password everywhere.
>>
>> If the user is just copying the files from the Samba share to the
>> windows machine and then running them, the anonymous user way should
>> work, but it will depend on the permissions being set correctly,
>> both in smb.conf and on the Unix machine, I would start by checking
>> that the Unix permisions are set to 777
> Maybe my description was not clear. We first see this problem in our production
> environment. So I set up a test VM with samba 3.6.25 and 4.4.5 available.
> Then I PXE-boot a notebook with Windows PE 5.0 and try to connect to my
> test-samba-server. 3.6.25 works. Stopping 3.6.25 and starting 4.4.5: Works fine.
>
> Then I PXE-boot Windows PE 10.0 and make the same test. Now just samba 3.6.25
> works. Trying 4.4.5 gives error "System error 58 has occurred."
> All tests use the same Samba-cfg-file.
>
> Best regards,
> Ralf

Looking at a "System 58 error" with Windows 7 --

https://serverfault.com/questions/69049/system-error-58-while-accessing-shares-on-windows-7-from-windows-xp

I'm wondering if the problem lies in the "server max level = NT1" issue
we've seen before with Windows 10?

In other words, the problem may lie in the PXE Windows PE 10.0 environment.

It's making a request but not receiving the answer it requires to make
the connection.