[Samba] UNIX attribute UID no longer increments with RSAT

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 8 13:32:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 08:52:39 -0400
"lingpanda101 at gmail.com" <lingpanda101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      I'm using rfc2307 to enable Unix attributes on my DC's. Recently
> when adding a user and attempting to add a UID with the RSAT, I
> receiving the following error.
>
> 'Duplicate UID. Assign a uniqueUID.'
>
> How do I list all users and their UID? I tried using 'pdbedit' and
> wbinfo. Pdbedit appears to list the XID's and wbinfo needs me to
> specify a user name. I need to confirm all users have a unique UID
> before moving forward to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks.

What version of windows is this ?

When you used to add a uidNumber with the UNIX Attributes tab, the last
uid used was stored in an attribute in AD, this attribute was created
if it didn't exist, has windows stopped doing this ?

The attribute in question is 'msSFU30MaxUidNumber' (there is another
one for groups 'msSFU30MaxGidNumber') and this is stored in the AD
object to be found at:
CN=<Your
lowercase
NETBios
domain
name>,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=your,DC=dns,DC=domain

Rowland