[Samba] Unable to create GPO "Allow log on locally"

nanocosm at gmail.com nanocosm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 10:09:40 UTC 2016

Well, I've set up a completely new test AD Domain with Samba 4.4.5 and
one Windows 10 Client running RSAT tools in an isolated VM net.

Creating a new empty GPO using RSAT tools
Computer Configuration->
  Policies->
    Windows  Settings->
      Security Settings->
        Local Policies->
          User Rights Assignment->
            Allow Logon Locally"
does not work. I am able to add users/groups to the listbox but I'm
unable to "Apply" or "Ok".
The RSAT Dialog will refuse to apply with the message
 "Administrators must be granted the logon local right" and the Dialog
stays open.

It does not matter which version of Windows or which language is being
used.

To reproduce just try to add "DOMAIN\Administrator" or
"CLIENT\Administrator" to the GPO mentioned above with any recent RSAT
Client on a Samba 4.4.5 DC.

It is possible to edit these information inside the GPO file
"GptTmpl.inf" using the right SIDs and it will work then. Also the
Usernames will be shown correctly in RSAT after adding them manually.
(Well I would do it this way but my colleagues won't manually edit the
files I bet. So this is nothing I can advise the 'rest of the world'
especially  ;-)

Doing the same on a Windows 2008R2 DC everything works as expected.

When I increase logging on samba with log level = all:255 there's no
relevant output. Some messages when accessing the GPOs but no logs when
trying to apply.

Am I missing something or is this a samba bug?
On which Samba-Version is this working?
Currently I've no clue where to start on resolving these problems...

Any help is very appreciated