[Samba] WindowsPE 10.0 -- Samba 4.4.5 connection problem

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 8 09:35:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 10:24:50 +0200
Ralf Aumüller <Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we use WindowsPE and a Samba-Share to install Windows. First
> WindowsPE is booted and then a network drive with
> Windows-install-files is mapped.
>
> This worked fine with WindowsPE 5.0. But with WindowsPE 10.0 it fails.
>
> The error is:
>
> net use \\PC\test
>
> System error 58 has occurred.
> The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
>
> I used a simple Samba-Config for testing and get the following:
>
> Samba		WindowsPE 5.0		WindowsPE 10.0
> 3.6.25		OK			OK
> 4.4.5		OK			Failed
>
> The smb.conf file of all tests:
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = VMTST
>    security = user
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    passdb backend = smbpasswd
>    unix charset = UTF-8
>
> [test]
>    comment = Test
>    guest ok = yes
>    path = /data/test
>
> Any tips about that issue?
>
> Best regards,
> Ralf

I have never used used WindowsPE, but from what you posted, you just
want to connect anonymously to the Samba share.

Try changing the [global] part of your smb.conf to this:

 [global]
   workgroup = VMTST
   security = user
   map to guest = Bad User

With this, any user that isn't a Samba user on the Samba machine, will
be treated as a guest login.

Rowland