[Samba] Hyper-V Virtual Machines fail to start on Samba shares

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Aug 6 18:08:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 05:51:14PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> I know who first started using .local, it was a bad idea and when
> 'Avahi' for Linux was written, this could have been fixed, but it
> wasn't.
>
> I am not abusing anybody, I am just voicing my opinion and my opinion
> is that anything written by 'you know who' has a lot of problems and
> should be avoided like the plague.
>
> Why ? I hear you saying, well for an instance, download Fedora 24,
> remove network-manager and setup a fixed ip, just like you can on
> Debian by altering the files, reboot. You will find
> that /etc/resolv.conf has disappeared and when you try to recreate it,
> you will find you cannot, this is because systemd now makes /etc
> readonly.

Rowland, please be nice on the lists. This isn't a systemd
discussion forum in the same way it isn't an sssd discussion
forum :-).

(Don't know what it is about systemd but it does seem to
start political flamewars - personally I can take it or
leave it but I'm not religious about init systems :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.