[Samba] Hyper-V Virtual Machines fail to start on Samba shares

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Aug 6 17:22:55 UTC 2016

Am 06.08.2016 um 18:51 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:18:22 +0200
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>

>> i know who you meant but that person *did not* reserve .local and so
>> stop abuse unrelated people because things they are not responsible
>> for just because you have a problem using their software for whatever
>> reason - that's it
>
> I know who first started using .local, it was a bad idea and when
> 'Avahi' for Linux was written, this could have been fixed, but it
> wasn't.

no it couldn't in case of a *compatible* implementation which is
essentail when you use more than one operating system

> I am not abusing anybody, I am just voicing my opinion and my opinion
> is that anything written by 'you know who' has a lot of problems and
> should be avoided like the plague.

that's just your optinion

> Why ? I hear you saying, well for an instance, download Fedora 24,
> remove network-manager and setup a fixed ip, just like you can on
> Debian by altering the files, reboot. You will find
> that /etc/resolv.conf has disappeared and when you try to recreate it,
> you will find you cannot, this is because systemd now makes /etc
> readonly

nonsense, all our developer desktops as well as our production servers
are currently running Fedora 24 - with a customized /etc/resolv.conf -
fileserver, webservers, nameservers, routers, wlan-ap and what not else

you only showed that you where unable or unwilling to cope with changes
and learn how systemd works - you are free to do so - but then *please*
stop spreading unqualified FUD