[Samba] Hyper-V Virtual Machines fail to start on Samba shares

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Aug 6 16:51:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:18:22 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> i know who you meant but that person *did not* reserve .local and so
> stop abuse unrelated people because things they are not responsible
> for just because you have a problem using their software for whatever
> reason
> - that's it

I know who first started using .local, it was a bad idea and when
'Avahi' for Linux was written, this could have been fixed, but it
wasn't.

I am not abusing anybody, I am just voicing my opinion and my opinion
is that anything written by 'you know who' has a lot of problems and
should be avoided like the plague.

Why ? I hear you saying, well for an instance, download Fedora 24,
remove network-manager and setup a fixed ip, just like you can on
Debian by altering the files, reboot. You will find
that /etc/resolv.conf has disappeared and when you try to recreate it,
you will find you cannot, this is because systemd now makes /etc
readonly.

Rowland