[Samba] That domain could not be found

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:34:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

> See inline comments
> And Please keep replies to the list
>
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:08:26 -0600
> Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Samba's wiki didn't have a walk through working example from A to Z.
> > It is great don't get me wrong but I followed it and at the end I was
> > able to do all in the steps in it but still had the message I started
> > this thread with. It leaves out A-F and R-Z or there abouts (It might
> > have more or less but there are some missing parts.) I am still
> > trying to figure out how to try and properly compile it for Fedora
> > myself (as Fedora is my main distro of choice and I used a
> > precompiled version from Alexander Bokovoy for F23 when I stared this
> > thread, I had even gotten that to work following the samba wiki in
> > the past but seem to had been having trouble when I built a vm for
> > it).
> >

> Most of the wiki was written by Marc Muehlfeld, he (as far as I am
> aware) uses Centos, so the wiki should be relevant to fedora.

I was wrong to characterize it as missing A-F and R-Z it is more like it is
really only missing A(some more pre install necessities and testing should
probably test that ACL's are working and test named to make sure it is up
to par) and Z (some testing that I'm not sure how to replicate outside of
windows and I'm not sure how to fix the broken cases, like joining a domain
as a test and when failing occurred all I could do is try a different
prepackaged samba) and more so the samba wiki has B1, B2, B3 .... so many
options that it confused me and I went with a simple example.

Specifically I needed an example with bind as I know bind and use it. Once
it was using bind I could do things like use the samba AD DC's bind as a
master and use my main server as a slave without interfering with other
Domain's I use on my main computer. And I no longer had to point the DNS to
the VM I could use my main computer without worry.

The windows test to run (after reading the error message from windows I was
told by it to run:) "nltest /dsgetdc:<domain name>"
Another good test is to run "dcdiag /s:<domain controller name>"

Also on windows I installed the AD tools on my Windows 10 machine to create
accounts and GPOs

For Fedora the samba wiki worked on my main machine I used bind_flatfile as
bind on Fedora did not support DLZ but on a vm following the same
instructions did not work. I must not have had some options installed that
I need for it to work properly. If and when I fix it maybe then I can
update the wiki.

For now I have a working Ubuntu 16.04 AD DC Samba server following the
instructions on that linked page. I modified it with what you told me. I
removed the forwarder in the smb.conf file, I set fstab back to how it was
originally by the OS install, and I moved krb5.conf to krb5.conf.org. and
linked to the one created by samba.

Most of what was on that linked page where the same tests as on the samba
wiki.

> > Samba's seems to leave out some important parts of setting up
> > AppArmor or Selinux
>
> The setup of these could be improved on the wiki, care to help by
> posting your files ?

That is why I went to some other wiki I don't know this well enough I just
copied the rules I saw on the linked page.
And after ten years of selinux in fedora I just use the defaults that the
package maintainers put in. since I suspected selinux I disabled it and
rebooted but the problems where still there.

The apparmor rules were as follows:

Add the following apparmor rules to the end of
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.named inside the {..}

sudo nano /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.named

   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ldb/** rwmk,
   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/** rwmk,

   /var/lib/samba/private/dns/** rwmk,
   /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf r,
   /var/lib/samba/private/dns.keytab r,

   /var/tmp/* rw,

   /dev/urandom rw,

That worked well enough for me on the Ubuntu 16.04 install I did on a VM.
For all I know this makes the machine super vulnerable so I am only testing
with it and keeping an eye on it.

Should I try and update the wiki with these apparmor instructions?

 and installing the necessary steps to install and
> > test ACL's (that part was pretty good on the linked page).
>
> And it was totally unnecessary, the defaults for ext4 are what the
> page you linked to advised adding.

You are correct that the defaults for ext4 do support ACL's however I still
think this is a good thing to test before continuing for people that might
have installed a FS that does not support it. So they know they will need
another partition to mount some place that has ACL's for samba to use.