[Samba] Migration from samba3 to samba4 : PDC doesn't not appear in network

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 4 10:49:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:12:42 +0200
JB <jb at eikeo.com> wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	I'm trying to migrate an old PDC controller running samba
> 3.0.4 to a more decent server. Now, I use samba 4.2.10 (from
> debian/jessie).
>
> 	My smb.conf is :
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          workgroup = CABINET
>          realm = SYSTELLA.NET
>          netbios name = CERVANTES
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          security = user
>          encrypt passwords = yes
>          dns forwarder = 192.168.4.254
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>          server string = %h server
>          domain master = yes
>          local master = yes
>          domain logons = yes
>          os level = 65
>          logon path = \\%N\home\profile
>          logon drive = Z:
>          logon home = \\%N\home
>          logon script = netlogon.cmd
>          interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 lo
>          hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.0.0.
>          bind interfaces only = yes
>          unix password sync = yes
>          passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>          passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*        %n\n
> *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* . pam password change = yes
>          vfs objects = acl_xattr
>          map acl inherit = yes
>          store dos attributes = yes
>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>          winbind trusted domains only = no
>          winbind use default domain = yes
>          winbind enum users = yes
>          winbind enum groups = yes
>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>          max log size = 50
>
> [netlogon]
>          comment = Network Logon Service
>          guest ok = yes
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/systella.net/scripts
>          read only = yes
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>          read only = yes
>
> [home]
>          comment = Répertoire privé
>          path = /home/%u
>          create mask = 0700
>          directory mask = 0700
>          browseable = yes
>          writeable = yes
>
> [partage]
>          comment = Répertoire partagé
>          path = /home/partage
>          force create mode = 0666
>          force directory mode = 0777
>          writable = yes
>          browseable = yes
>
> [visiodent]
>          comment = Visiodent
>          path = /home/visiodent
>          force create mode = 0666
>          force directory mode = 0777
>          writable = yes
>          browseable = yes
>
> and samba seems to be a active directory server. I have added without
> error a workstation in this new domain. But I don't see controller in
> network windows (I have tried from Windows XP). If I mannually run

> [...]

Hi

You now have a DC, your old domain used a PDC, in AD all DCs are
supposed to be equal and to refer to the first DC as a PDC is confusing.

Can I suggest you remove most of the lines that you have added to the
[global] section, they are not required on a DC or are even making
things worse.

I hope the test workstation is just that, because it will now never
see the PDC again without re-installing the OS.

Finally, there is no network browsing with a Samba AD DC, AD works
differently to your old NT4-style domain.

Can I suggest your go and browse the Samba wiki:

 https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland