[Samba] netbios and interfaces

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:11:00 UTC 2016

I stand corrected

WINS is to support looking up of netbios names to IP.     If DNS is
setup, you usually don't need it for accessing network shares. If you
have configured samba in a domain model, WINS would help clients locate
the DC.

For browsing between subnets you probably want the "remote browse sync"
feature (see the man page on smb.conf.)  I haven't used it. I think it
isn't worth the work.

If a domain model,  a logon script usually maps drive letters to key shares.