[Samba] That domain could not be found

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 3 07:43:57 UTC 2016

See inline comments
And Please keep replies to the list

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:08:26 -0600
Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Samba's wiki didn't have a walk through working example from A to Z.
> It is great don't get me wrong but I followed it and at the end I was
> able to do all in the steps in it but still had the message I started
> this thread with. It leaves out A-F and R-Z or there abouts (It might
> have more or less but there are some missing parts.) I am still
> trying to figure out how to try and properly compile it for Fedora
> myself (as Fedora is my main distro of choice and I used a
> precompiled version from Alexander Bokovoy for F23 when I stared this
> thread, I had even gotten that to work following the samba wiki in
> the past but seem to had been having trouble when I built a vm for
> it).

Most of the wiki was written by Marc Muehlfeld, he (as far as I am
aware) uses Centos, so the wiki should be relevant to fedora.

> Samba's seems to leave out some important parts of setting up
> AppArmor or Selinux

The setup of these could be improved on the wiki, care to help by
posting your files ?
 and installing the necessary steps to install and
> test ACL's (that part was pretty good on the linked page).

And it was totally unnecessary, the defaults for ext4 are what the
page you linked to advised adding.

> to test if those are the defaults for mounting ext4. I can try
> setting it back. I also didn't like using rm I always was taught to
> move the original out of the way that there maybe something in there
> you'll want later.

You do not need to bother, take it from me, you do not need to
alter /etc/fstab if you are using ext4.

> It also has me wondering how Ubuntu compiled samba to work if they are
> using Heimdal or MIT Kerberos and if they are using Heimdal how they
> got around other issues vs why Fedora is sticking with MIT? If they
> are using MIT why is Fedora still working on this?

Samba comes with a built-in kerberos server, this uses Heimdal. The
red-hat world uses MIT and they want to use this with Samba and a lot
of work is going on to make this happen. Once this work is complete,
Samba will move to using MIT instead of Heimdal.

Rowland