[Samba] Samba4 openchange status

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Fri Apr 29 21:16:49 UTC 2016

On 04/29/2016 04:38 PM, CpServiceSpb wrote:
> I strongly and completely disagree with statement that is "IMHO the
> need for openchange is disappearing. "
>
> It is the only and one project/soft providing Exchange functionality
> on Linux platform.

FIRST OF ALL, this is the Samba mailing list, and a long discussion of
OpenChange is not appropriate.

And, if you will read the SOGo mailing list, archived here (starting in
March) . . .

https://lists.inverse.ca/sogo/arc/users/2016-03/thrd1.html

you'll find a long discussion since March 10 regarding the status of
Samba and SOGo/OpenChange

It is SOGo that acts as the OpenChange alternative, not strictly OpenChange.

It will work perfectly well as an Exchange alternative IF you're willing
to use Outlook 2013, and later.  Why?  Because earlier versions of
Outlook require "Outlook Anywhere," and THAT's provided by OpenChange.

IF, however, you're willing to use the "Exchange ActiveSync" (EAS)
protocol, OpenChange is not needed.  SOGo will work perfectly well as an
Exchange alternative without OpenChange (using EAS with Outlook 2013 and
later)

One of the OpenChange developers discusses how OpenChange development
has more-or-less stopped, and its use with SOGo requires Samba 4.1.18
only (available only from Inverse), and THAT is now EOL

So, in my opinion, that's what the original poster meant by his comment.