[Samba] RNDC errors using SAMBA_INTERNAL_DNS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 29 08:36:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 17:21 +0100, Wayne Merricks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've set up a simple domain using Samba 4.4.2 from source under
> Ubuntu
> 16.04.
>
> I accepted the usual defaults and basically followed wiki.samba.org
> the letter.  The main thing is I'm using Samba's internal DNS and not
> Bind (Bind is not even installed on the system).
>
> In the log.samba file on the first DC I kept getting this:
>
> [2016/04/28 17:01:02.716292,  0]
> ../lib/util/util_runcmd.c:328(samba_runcmd_io_handler)
>    /usr/sbin/rndc: Failed to exec child - No such file or directory
> [2016/04/28 17:01:02.717094,  0]
> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:91(dnsupdate_rndc_done)
>    ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:91: Failed rndc update -
> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> I'm not sure why dns_update would want to use rndc (bind utils) but I
> installed rndc just to see what it would do and now I get this error:
>
> [2016/04/28 17:09:03.095642,  0]
> ../lib/util/util_runcmd.c:328(samba_runcmd_io_handler)
>    /usr/sbin/rndc: rndc: neither /etc/bind/rndc.conf nor
> /etc/bind/rndc.key was found
> [2016/04/28 17:09:03.096090,  0]
> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:91(dnsupdate_rndc_done)
>    ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:91: Failed rndc update -
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> The error makes sense as Bind is not installed but I'm puzzled why it
> wants to do this even though it is set up as Samba Internal DNS.

This is a leftover from a time before the internal DNS server, and even
before the BIND9_DLZ module.  It is harmless, but of course should be
removed.  It is of some small value to those using the BIND_FLATFILE
backend, that is when we write out a static zone at provision time and
update a list of DCs into a file (with rights to change anything), and
call rndc to reload it.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett