[Samba] primary group gets set to 100 on Samba AD server after a while

Gerben Roest g.roest at grepit.nl
Thu Apr 28 20:20:35 UTC 2016

On 26-04-16 23:48, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> I had similar (ish) issues.
>
> Are you using winbindd and rfc2307 UIDs/GIDs? I had to implement both of
> the above on my DC to resolve this. (Neither of which I /wanted/ to do..
> but since switching over and running 'net cache flush' etc., the problem
> hasn't reoccurred)

Yes, we use winbindd and rfc2307. I have upgraded from samba3 + ldap to
samba4 + AD, and I have found out that using:

net ads search "(SAMAccountName=someuser)"|egrep
'name|primaryGroupID|gidNumber

for all migrated users their primaryGroupID was set to 513, and their
gidNumber was set to 100.

Adding a new user using Microsoft's RSAT this new user doesn't have a
"gidNumber" setting. I suspect this setting to somehow cause samba to
think that "Domain Users" is 100.

I have removed via RSAT the settings of gidNumber for all active users,
and I hope that will fix it.

Gerben