[Samba] Samba 4 permissions error

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 28 07:13:14 UTC 2016

On 28/04/16 07:31, Mueller wrote:
> This is a normal behaviour if you are using several dcs. Users und groups do have another gid/uid on each server
> until you fix it manually. This was a hard experiennce and work even fo rme which I suggest that this should be
> the next goal for the samba 4 developers to solve and fix it in an easy way for the admins.
> In my opinion, if I run several dcs in a domain this should be done between the dcs automatically without intervention.
>
> Greetings
> Daniel
>
> EDV Daniel Müller

It isn't really a problem until you start copying files between DCs by
means other than Samba ones. It is very similar to using the 'rid'
backend i.e. Samba creates the UID , but with one big difference, the
'rid' backend calculates the UID from the users RID, this way, the user
should get the same UID wherever the 'rid' backend is used. With
idmap.ldb, the user just gets the next UID available i.e. first come,
first served.

In my opinion, the 'Well known SIDs' need to be allocated fixed IDs and
then winbind usage brought into line with the way a 'domain member' works.

Rowland