[Samba] Migration to vfs_fruit with existing AppleDouble files?

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Apr 27 07:32:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 03:18:31PM -0700, Scott Call wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a quite large installation that currently supports OSX clients by
> forcing them to SMB1 with no streams (via the "nsmb.conf") file.
>
> This setup forces the OSX clients to generate their own ._[FILENAME]
> appledouble files for files with resource forks (like adobe documents).
>
> We recently discovered the fine work that's been done on vfs_fruit and
> wanted to see it it could help us.
>
> We have setup a test bed with a newer version of samba and vfs_fruit
> implemented and the behavior seems much better (faster, easier, etc) we
> just have one issue we've found.
>
> The OSX generated AppleDouble files are not compatible with the vfs_fruit
> generated ones.

Compatible, but containing a different metadata subset. OS X generated
AppleDouble contain marshalled xattr, Samba's don't.

> I think the difference (or at least part of it) is the files made by OSX
> might have all streams in them not just the AFP_* streams and the files
> themselves don't have xattr's set.

Yes.

> Ideally we would like to upgrade our existing server to a newer version
> using vfs_fruit and letting the VFS handle the AppleDouble files.

vfs_fruit converts the AppleDouble files on access, the AppleDouble
marshalled xattrs are discareded however. It's not rocket science to
add code for migrating the xattr data, but it will probably take a few
days of tedious work.

Cheerio!
-slow