[Samba] poor samba performance with many smaller files

Wed Apr 27 06:31:22 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:08:41PM +0200, Peter Bulin wrote:
> The directory is small, it contains only one file. stat() takes 15ms and if
> I read 1000 files it sums to 15 seconds. So the issue is really that open
> file is synchronous.

What do you exactly mean by "open file is synchronous"? At which level
does the synchronly kick in? Is it the client? Or is it smbd doing the
different steps it takes in a synchronous fashion, not allowing
multiple overlapping opens to make progress simultaneously?

If it's the client that waits for the open replies in sequence, there
is not much we can do. If it's smbd blocking parallel opens, we could
do something, but it will quite some work.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de