[Samba] primary group gets set to 100 on Samba AD server after a while

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 21:48:59 UTC 2016

I had similar (ish) issues.

Are you using winbindd and rfc2307 UIDs/GIDs? I had to implement both of
the above on my DC to resolve this. (Neither of which I /wanted/ to do..
but since switching over and running 'net cache flush' etc., the problem
hasn't reoccurred)

On 26 April 2016 at 09:14, Gerben Roest <g.roest at grepit.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> using Samba 4.4.2, on the Samba AD server the users have their primary
> group at 513 (domain users) but after a non-fixed time they get set to
> 100, like:
>

> [root at sambaserver:~]# id john
> uid=6032(DOMAIN\john) gid=513(DOMAIN\domain users)
> groups=513(DOMAIN\domain users),1013(DOMAIN\sales)
>
> <few minutes>
>
> [root at sambaserver:~]# id john
> uid=6032(DOMAIN\john) gid=513(DOMAIN\domain users)
> groups=513(DOMAIN\domain users),1013(DOMAIN\sales)
>
> <few minutes>
>
> [root at sambaserver:~]# id john
> uid=6032(DOMAIN\john) gid=100(DOMAIN\domain users)
> groups=100(DOMAIN\domain users),1013(DOMAIN\sales)
>
> then when I "net cache flush" do: they're back at 513... only for a while.
>
> The Linux workstations always see the users at 513, this only happens on
> the Samba server itself. This can happen with intervals of a few
> minutes, but I've also seen it being "stable" for a few hours.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Gerben
>
> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein