[Samba] group share problems with winbindd and samba 3.6.23-30.el6_7

Martin, Bruce W bruce.w.martin at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Apr 25 15:54:05 UTC 2016

I am the IT administrator for a group of researchers at a university. I have a non-production SAMBA server that I am suddenly needing to press into  production temporarily

 I have a CentOS6 machine running  winbindd and samba 3.6.23-30.el6_7. User Account Configuration is NIS and Authentication is Kerberos password. I manage my NIS servers but the Kerberos and Active Directory Domain controllers are managed by the University IT organization. My production samba servers are running samba 4.2.10 but the problems there are the subject of a different thread.
I have used the same smb.conf file for years across several versions of RHEL and CentOS and it has worked fine until now.

All users can log in and mount home shares and shares that do not have the "valid users = @group” parameter.  Shares that do have the "valid users = @group” get the following error when trying to mount/map.
"The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name, and then try again."

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Here is a sample from the smb.conf file with some info redacted.

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
realm = RELM
netbios name = ETA
server string = Samba Server version %v
interfaces = eth0, eth1
security = ADS
unix extensions = No
wins server = 10.109.18.219
ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 500-60000
idmap gid = 100-60000
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = Yes
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 10., 160.129., 129.59.
cups options = raw
remote announce = 10.200.32.255

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0644
case sensitive = Yes
browseable = No

[AFTP]
comment = Anonymous FTP Server Directory
path = /home/aftp
valid users = @vuiis
write list = @vuiis
force group = vuiis