[Samba] Samba 4 compilation - required libraries and programs for compilation on OpenSuse Leap 42.1

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Mon Apr 25 15:59:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Operating_system_requirements/Dependencies_-_Libraries_and_programs
>>
>> If anything is missing, let me know and I will update the page.
>
> Many of the libraries are sensitive to version requirements,
> especially if you activate the "dc" options and expect to use Samba as
> a full domain controller. It's helpful to make sure your Linux version
> is very recent. RHEL 7, for example, does not have a recent enough
> version of the "gnutls" libraries to build Samba 4.4, and updating
> gnutls to the needed gnutls-3.4.7 means upgrading dozens if not
> hundreds of other components. It can be much, much easier to build an
> earlier major release of Samba 4, such as Samba 4.3, if you run into
> library version problems.

I just ran into this problem myself.  The configure script checks for both
gnutls >= 3.0.0s and >= 3.4.7, and with EL7's 3.3.3 installed it
continues, but the build fails.  The errors are actually in linking TLS in
kerberos, so I wasn't sure if it was a gnutls problem, or if it was due to
some conflict with the system's MIT kerberos.

It would also be nice if either the documentation mentioned this, or the
configure script actually required 3.4.7 when not using --without-ad-dc.

Since I'm on the recently EOL'd 4.1, I had been hoping to update to the
latest version, to get back to the front of the EOL curve, but it looks
like the best long term plan will be to stick with the EL7 supported
version (currently 4.2.10), since it's relatively easy to rebuild their
packages with DC support.  The downside is that, while we can count on RH
to release security updates for winbind/smbd, we can't necessarily count
on them to release security updates that would only affect samba DC.