[Samba] copy of a share without path

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 25 08:34:35 UTC 2016

On 25/04/16 08:52, Alexandre Klein wrote:
> Matthias,
>
> Sorry I should have wrote more details.
> I agree with your message and I understand that template12 is not meant to
> be a share.
>
> What I tried to say is:
>
> when I have this configuration:
> [template12]
>      writable = yes
>      browsable = yes
>      valid users = alex
>
> [alex]
>    path = /home/alex
>    copy = template12
>

> I can see this error in /var/log/samba/log/smbd
> [2016/04/25 16:44:14.719192,  0]
> ../lib/param/loadparm.c:966(lpcfg_service_ok)
>    WARNING: No path in service template12 - making it unavailable!
>
> And I'm unable to access "alex".
>
> But if I don't use "copy", then it works correctly:
> [alex]
>    path = /home/alex
>    valid users = alex
>

> Alexandre Klein
> Tanuki Software, Ltd.
> 6-18-10-4F Nishi-Kasai, Edogawa-ku
> Tokyo 134-0088 Japan
> Tel: +81-3-3878-3211
> Fax: +81-3-3878-0313
> http://www.tanukisoftware.com
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 5:10 PM, mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How to use copy:
>> [template12]
>>      writable = yes
>>      browsable = yes
>>      valid users = andy, dave, jay
>> [share1]
>>    path=/path/to/share1
>>    copy = template12
>> [share2]
>>    path=/path/to/share2
>>    copy = template12
>>
>> Here template12 is a template and it used later for declaring shares
>> share1 and share2.
>>
>> template (or in my example template12) is not meant to be used as a share
>> because a share is a directory you are sharing. A directory is represented
>> by a path. So without path to the directory you want to share, Samba can't
>> share anything because there is nothing to share...

>> alexandre.klein at tanukisoftware.com>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is the example for 'copy' (
>>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch06.html ) valid?
>>> [template]
>>>      writable = yes
>>>      browsable = yes
>>>      valid users = andy, dave, jay
>>>
>>> When I'm trying a similar configuration, I can't log in and I have this
>>> message in log.smbd:
>>> WARNING: No path in service template - making it unavailable!
>>>
>>> It seems I need to add a path:
>>> [template]
>>>      writable = yes
>>>      browsable = yes
>>>      valid users = andy, dave, jay
>>>      path = /path/somewhere
>>>
>>> Or maybe there is something with the version of Samba that I'm using:
>>> 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.11
>>>
>>> Regards,
> [...]

OK, never used this, but 'man smb.conf' shows this:

        copy (S)

            This parameter allows you to "clone" service entries. The
specified
            service is simply duplicated under the current service's
name. Any
            parameters specified in the current section will override
those in
            the section being copied.

            This feature lets you set up a 'template' service and create
            similar services easily. Note that the service being copied must
            occur earlier in the configuration file than the service
doing the
            copying.

            Default: copy =

            Example: copy = otherservice

Now, the relevant part (as far as I can tell) is this:

This parameter allows you to "clone" service entries.

To be a 'service' (aka share), it needs to have a path statement, which
is probably why you are getting:

WARNING: No path in service template12 - making it unavailable!

Try adding a path to your template, perhaps 'path = /dev/null' , this
will be over written by your later use of 'copy'

Rowland