[Samba] Ubuntu 12.04 samba update

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sat Apr 23 13:19:10 UTC 2016

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> When ubuntu 14.04 went from samba 4.1.6 to 4.3.8 it killed my setup.

I face the same sort of issue with Ubuntu 12.04.

The Ubuntu security updates this week have killed the ability to log on to the Samba NT4 style domain from back level Windows clients.

Our configuration does not have any LDAP, we run with the smbpasswd passdb backend. Just very simple. Anyway, here is our smb.conf... please suggest what we must change in order to restore logins.

[global]
     workgroup = LDS-SMB
     netbios name = LDSLNX01
     server string = %h server
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     log level = 1
     max log size = 1000
;   syslog only = no
     syslog = 0
;   obey pam restrictions = yes
;   guest account = nobody
;   invalid users = root
;   unix password sync = no
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
;   pam password change = no

########## NT Domain Related ##########
;   admin users = @domadmin
     security = user
     encrypt passwords = true
     passdb backend = smbpasswd
     domain logons = true
     time server = true
     enable privileges = true
     add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false %u
     logon script = LOGON.BAT
     logon drive = I:
     logon path =

########## NT Domain Related - Master Browser ##########
     browse list = true
     domain master = true
     local master = true
     os level = 33
     preferred master = true
     wins support = yes
     name resolve order = wins host bcast

########## Printing ##########
     load printers = yes
     printcap name = CUPS
     printcap cache time = 180
     printing = CUPS
     use client driver = no
;   printer admin = @domadmin
;   show add printer wizard = No

######## File Sharing ########
     oplocks = no
     level2 oplocks = no
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &
;   idmap uid = 10000-20000
;   idmap gid = 10000-20000
;   template shell = /bin/bash

;New things global to all shares for ACL support...
     map hidden = no
     map system = no
     map archive = no
     store dos attributes = yes

# Added as a test to get correct perms on the Samba server
     unix extensions = no

# Added to test connecting Win98 clients to Samba on Ubuntu 9.04
     lanman auth = true

######## File Shares ########
; <snip here... do not think it the trouble is related to how we set up the many shares>

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems