[Samba] Moving the 1st DC (FSMO) to another site - howto?

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:14:19 UTC 2016

Hi Ole,

A - If I read correctly you have only one DC and you want to move from one
network to another.

To achieve that change you will have to change all A/AAAA records in your
both AD zones (root zone and _msdcs zone).
Once that is done you will have to change resolver configuration on your
clients for they can send DNS request to the new IP.

Can't see anything else. Nothing about AD site: AD sites are linked to
clients networks and clients networks do not change, only DC network is
changing.

B - If I don't read correctly, you have several DC. Move on DC to the new
network, change A and AAAA records related to that DC to reflect the
network change.
If you move one DC not used by clients as DNS server, no change on client
side.

C - You are lazy and you have enough physical computer to play with.
Just create a new DC on the new site, join it to the domain.
If then you want to remove old DC you will have to seize (or transfer if it
works) FSMO roles, change DNS configuration on client side, but as that's a
new DC you don't have to modify A/AAAA records.

IMPORTANT NOTE: with internal DNS you have only one SOA. SOA is where DNS
update goes. If you remove old SOA you must change SOA record to assign it
to a working DC. Without that no change in your DNS zones will be possible
for later use (DC moving from site to site is the main point, auto-update
pushed by DHCP or clients won't work too).