[Samba] Moving the 1st DC (FSMO) to another site - howto?

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 22 11:44:55 UTC 2016

Hi List,

I'll probably have to move my FSMO role owner to another site. Like at
the end of next week (depends on tight transportation schedules). So
there is no actual time for testing anything, I am afraid.

We are in the process of moving our lab, with our offices staying in the
old building for now (different class C subnets). The physical machine
is basically a file server (hosting DC1 as a VM) which is particularly
needed at the new site. Plus: Summer is coming and the new site has
cooling. Unfortunately, our university techsup can't span a VLan to
merge these two sites. So I am trying to figure out how to do it. In
earlier discussions on DC failover strategies I was suggested to have my
DCs on different sites (with different subnets), so I figure it being
possible in general.

The necessary steps likely include:
- modifying my current DNS config: create another site, move DC1 over,
also the file server (AD member)
- update all the clients' 1st DNS server entries to reflect the new IP
of DC1 (and network share mappings)
- set some firewall rules allowing for logon and smb communication etc.

Samba is version 4.2.5 with internal DNS.

Any advice, instructions, heads-up, warnings are very welcome!

Best regards,
Ole