[Samba] Debian patched 3.6.6 winbindd fails.

G.W. Haywood samba at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 21:21:43 UTC 2016

Hello again Rowland,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Rowland Penny wrote:

> ... as you have compiled Samba, have you set the PATH correctly ?
> If you haven't, you may be trying to run the wrong winbindd, you
> can test this with 'which winbindd' ...

I'm running the binaries explicitly, not relying on the PATH.  I'd
thought that was clear, but it's true I hadn't mentioned it.  When
I say that I'm running the Debian patched smbd and nmbd from 3.6.6
with the winbindd from 3.6.25 compiled by myself I really mean it.
The winbindd binary from 3.6.6 is renamed 'winbindd-3.6.6'. :)

Note that the unpatched winbindd from 3.6.6 also runs OK.  But the
Debian patched version exits immediately after starting with both
the new (patched) 3.6.6 nmbd and smbd from Debian and with the old
3.6.25 versions which have been running here since early 2015, and
all with exactly the same configuration and data files.

> Ah, I understand why you are setting the directories in smb.conf,
> Samba might know where they are, but does the OS ?

I don't think I understand the question.  The directories are all on
the root partition of the Samba host, and all seem to be found by the
binaries, at least according to 'lsof' (which admittedly I don't get
chance to run on the patched winbindd 3.6.6 from Debian, because it
exits less than a second after being started).  If you mean paths to
the binaries I think I've covered that.

> Also, as you are compiling Samba, why not go the whole hog and use 4.4.2 ?

Of course that's on the TODO list, but system downtime isn't an option
so the approach is very conservative.  When the time comes, before the
upgrade to Samba4 begins I intend to run the upgrade plan by this
mailing list for observations.  Basically I'll be adding one DC and
one file server to the domain first to test interoperability, then
standing back and watching it for a few months, then gradually moving
the load from Samba3 to Samba4, adding more DCs, and also (hopefully)
eliminating some Windows boxes in the process.  The Samba4 instances
will all be on VMs distributed over assorted hardware existing on the
network already, whereas this Samba3 file server is running on Linux
on bare metal.  But don't let me get ahead of myself.

Thanks once again.

--

73,
Ged.