[Samba] Debian patched 3.6.6 winbindd fails.

G.W. Haywood samba at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 15:18:56 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 20:51 +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > [2016/04/20 20:31:30.288745,  0]   Could not fetch our SID - did we join?
> > [2016/04/20 20:31:30.288774,  0]   unable to initialize domain list
> >
> > Of course the join is OK, and winbindd from 3.6.25 has no problem ...
>
> Is that using the same private dir?  Typically self-compiled binaries
> have very different paths than system packages.

I hope so!  You're right, but the smb.conf here sets them explicitly:

   log file              = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   private dir           = /usr/local/samba/private
   smb passwd file       = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
   lock directory        = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   state directory       = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   cache directory       = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   pid directory         = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   ncalrpc dir           = /usr/local/samba/var/ncalrpc

And yes, I'm sure that this is the smb.conf that's being used. :)

Before posting I investigated whether perhaps something like this was
the problem, but if it is I haven't found it yet.

Unless there are better ideas my game plan now is to apply all the
Debian patches one-by-one, until either winbindd 3.6.6 works in this
system after patching, or else it fails like the binary provided by
Debian.  Of course it might fail NOT like the binary provided by
Debian, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. :)

--

73,
Ged.