[Samba] Moving from samba-3.6.23-25.el6_7.x86_64 to samba-3.6.23-30.el6_7 has broken access to our MAC OS X clients

Ian Collier Ian.Collier at cs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 14:32:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 01:25:14PM +0100, Rowland penny wrote:
> My understanding is that the Badlock patches fixed a multitude of security
> problems,

That's not disputed, and is why we have persevered in trying to make the
patched version work instead of just reverting back to the previous version
(you'll note that one response on this thread advocated doing that).

>           also from work that I and Louis have carried out, it now looks
> possible that the problem lies in the way that the update packages have been
> created. I do not have any problems, but I build Samba with just
> './configure --enable-debug --without-systemd'.

I doubt this.  The OP is about samba 3.6.23-30 which essentially
no longer exists except in packaged form.  And I'm referring to the
fact that AD authentication in the samba binary is broken (i.e. not
using the separate winbindd binary), which Andrew Bartlett appears
to have agreed with in Debian bug 820981.  Everyone who has got it
working so far (including you, I suspect) is running winbindd.

> That is how it is supposed to work in an AD domain:
>
> Unix groups in /etc/passwd are local groups and as such, will be unknown to
> AD.
> To have a Unix group that is known to AD, it first needs to created as an AD
> group and then given a gidNumber attribute, or use the 'rid' backend on a
> domain member.

But people with a long-established Unix authentication system are not
going to do this: duplicating all the Unix groups in AD is a faff and
will only lead to problems in the long run when they aren't kept in sync.

The answer is to use the username map (which translates the AD identities
into Unix ones); it just happens not to work properly in 3.6.23.

Ian Collier.