[Samba] Best Pratice for installing samba package in production environment

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:49:49 UTC 2016

And for lazy people - as me - who started with Sernet's packages and then
switched to compiled version there is an option from ./configure script
called "--enable-fhd" which is meant to install Samba DB and stuffs into
/var/lib/samba as with Sernet's packages.

>From configure's help:
    --enable-fhs
            Use FHS-compliant paths (default no)
            You should consider using this together with:
            --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

So the configure line become:
./configure --enable-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var + Your own options.

This is better used when creating a package as stuffs are installed
directly inside the system (/usr, /var...) and so clean up if harder to
perform than when installing into dedicated directory. With a package your
distribution installer will perform that clean up for you when removing the
package or changing it.