[Samba] Samba4 quit working after update

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 19 21:04:53 UTC 2016

On 19/04/16 21:39, Thomas Smith wrote:
> Ok, thank you--that worked, but it doesn't make sense.
>
> The server's been operational for months without winbind. Did
> something change in Samba that it won't operate now without it?
>
> I specifically remember reading that winbind wasn't necessary and, in
> fact, wasn't recommended with Samba 4 AD.

OK, Samba when running as an AD DC originally used 'winbind', this was a
part of the 'samba' binary and you could not run the 'winbindd' binary.
 From version 4.2.0, 'winbind' was replaced by the separate 'winbindd'
binary (as used on a domain member), so you had to either explicitly
make the Samba binary run 'winbind' or install winbindd and allow the
Samba binary to start it.

Rowland