[Samba] mount cifs

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Apr 19 20:35:51 UTC 2016

On 04/19/2016 1:44 PM, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Dale,
>
> Du meintest am 19.04.16:
>
>>> Found some more info:
>>>
>>> mount.cifs to mount shares from my DCs (samba 4.2.11) works
>>> mount.cifs to mount shares from smbserver (also 4.2.11) does NOT
>>> work.
> [...]
>
>>> As for smb.conf options: similar on the DCs and the smbserver, with:
>>>
>>> server signing = mandatory
>>> ntlm auth = yes
>>> server min protocol = SMB2
>>> client max protocol = SMB3
>>>
>>> Any ideas why mount.cifs doesn't connect to our smbserver?
>
>> I echo MJ's request, what is now needed to mount a CIFS share? Using
>> krb5 was mentioned, but what about standalone servers that don't use
>> kerberos?
> Again: try (the default)
>
>          max protocol = NT1
>
> instead of the above options.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Helmut,

I added that parameter to smb.conf, then ran this:

mount -t cifs //path/to/share /path/to/mount_point -o
sec=ntlmv2,credentials=/path/to/credentials_file

and got this:

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

It seems that something more is needed.

Thanks,
Dale