[Samba] Permission denied on GPT.ini (Event ID 1058) (SOLVED)

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Mon Apr 18 16:05:05 UTC 2016

I think I finally solved it…

This is indeed not related to Samba (I guess), and I have to say that I
don't know if there is a proper fix

Let's recap in case someone take this in the middle of the thread :

Some machines fails to apply GPO at startup. Manual launches of gpupdate
are successful, only boot up ones fail (that is, everything related to
software installation or startup scripts).
Events log shows error about accessing GPT.ini (without telling what the
error exactly is).
Manual access to said GPT.ini (either through user account or using the
computer account), is successful

I guess this is some kind of race condition related to network
initialisation which isn't totally finished when GPO processing starts.
The faster the boot, the higher the risk to trigger the condition (thus
SSD-enabled machines are good candidates). As I said in a previous mail,
something seems to trick windows into believing that the network is
available while it's not. And this something turns out to be… IPv6

Disabling IPv6 on the network interface solves the problem, enabling it
triggers it.

I guess this is because IPv6 autoconfiguration is immediate (no need to
get DHCP ack) while IPv4 needs to wait for DHCP process to finish, below
is what I guess happens:
Standard PC
[Some boot stuff involving slow disk I/O]
IPv6 ready => network available
[Some boot stuff involving slow disk I/O]
IPv4 DHCP ACK => IPv4 available
[Some boot stuff involving slow disk I/O]
GPO processing

SSD PC
[some bot stuff invol… finished]
GPO processing waits for network
IPv6 ready => network available
GPO says "cannot read the file"
IPv4 ready => nobody cares

Note: configuring system to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 does not change
anything (seems consistent since IPv4 is not available so cannot be
preferred when GPO processing starts).

Thank you for your help, I hope this will help someone (if people
encountering the same problem can test this "fix" and report back I
would appreciate).

Regards