[Samba] Debian release version numbers for the April 2016 sec release

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 15 20:06:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 15:31 +0100, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 15/04/16 14:54, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> > Yeah, i have an output of log level 10 while i do a wbinfo -u.
> >
> > As for the packages below.
> > 4.1.17, yes, im upgrading these as we speak, but now on hold due to
> > this problem.
> >
> > 4.2.20 .. error typo, is Version 4.2.10-Debian
> >
> > 4.3.7.. yeah, but 4.3.8 is not in debian, the 4.3.7 is the package
> > version debian used for the latest CVE fixes.
>
> OK, just who in Debian cannot read ??? :-D

Rowland, please take more care in your statements.

> If you look here: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/
>
> It clearly says 'samba-4.3.7 (do not use)' .
>
> Not to say this is the problem, but it cannot be helping.

This is entirely and totally unrelated.

The regression fixed in the 4.3.8 package is in a patch already
included in Debian's 4.3.7, as they were substantially prepared before
the new tarballs were provided.  Given deadlines and workload before a
fixed embargo release time, the of the *eight* packages released
(including backports of tdb, talloc, ldb and tevent), the three Samba
package for which a late re-release was made were deliberately not re
-made with the new version number.

I hope this clarifies things.

Andrew Bartlett