[Samba] DNS: Migrate from BIND9_FLATFILE to SAMBA_INTERNAL (Samba 4.1.17)

Bouke J. Henstra bouke at ict-diensten.com
Thu Apr 14 20:02:45 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I have a few question regarding to DNS and upgrading from Samba 4.1.17 to 4.4.2.

After reading about the Badlock Bug, I feel the urge to upgrade my
Samba installation and to move from BIND9_FLATFILE to
SAMBA_INTERNAL_DNS.

I am using Samba version 4.1.17.
During provisioning (some years ago) I have decided to use BIND9_FLATFILE.
At this moment I would like to upgrade to Samba 4.4.2 and I would like
to migrate to SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS.

I have noticed the command "samba_upgradedns" but unfortunately I
could not find information about migrating from BIND9_FLATFILE to
SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS.
I have found some information but it dates from 2012 and I am not sure
if this still would work
(http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/migration-bind9-flat-file-to-DLZ-td4320796.html).

I would appreciate some help. Could someone please let me know what
the best way is to upgrade to SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS in this situation?
And, is it required to migrate to SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS (or can I stick
with BIND9_FLATFILE)?

And, are there any caveats when I upgrade from 4.1.17 to 4.4.2. The
first version I have installed is 4.0.6. Does "Update an early Samba 4
version on Samba Active Directory DCs" found at
"https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba" apply? I am a little
bit worried after reading "Early versions of Samba 4 (Beta, RC, early
4.0.x) had some issues"

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Bouke

--

This message (and any associated files) may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized