[Samba] Previously extended schema not working in 4.4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 14 19:20:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-14 at 18:07 +0100, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> On 14 April 2016 at 13:37, Jonathan Hunter <jmhunter1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > # samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
> > Checking 4079 objects
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00290001
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x0029000a
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00290004
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x0009030e
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00090001
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020119
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020002
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020001
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00000000
> >
> ERROR: incorrect attributeID values in replPropertyMetaData on
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk
> >
> > Not fixing incorrect value 0x00290004 with 0xbd27f4d3 for myAttr in
> > replPropertyMetaData on
> > MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk
> >

> Going back over the results of 'samba-tool dbcheck', it struck me
> just now
> that the errors flagged up only appear on objects previously created
> using
> my extended schema - these are exactly the same type of errors I am
> now
> getting when trying to create more of these objects.
>
> So I think that 'samba-tool dbcheck' is displaying the symptom, and
> in fact
> running 'samba-tool dbcheck' probably won't help my situation.
>
> What could cause the errors shown via 'samba-tool dbcheck'?

Our DRS replication code with extended schema has been pretty badly
broken in a number of releases, and so we fixed the bugs and added
dbcheck rules to fix the damage.  We also added code in Samba to refuse
to operate when we detect damage at runtime.

Once you run with --fix it should all get back to normal - thankfully
we have enough information, just a little scrambled, to fix this up.

(Those rules are actually some of the best-tested in dbcheck).

We continue to improve our extended schema code.  Hopefully we will
have it all solid for 4.5, but it is much, much better in 4.4 than 4.2
was.

Andrew Bartlett