[Samba] Advice on CVE-2016-2118

Howard, Stewart Jameson sjhoward at iu.edu
Thu Apr 14 14:44:33 UTC 2016

Hi All,

My group runs several Samba services in production and we are trying to determine our exposure level to this vulnerability.  It is my understanding that, on success, this attack gives read/write access to both the "Local Security Authority" service and to the "Security Account Manager" database(s).  From the reading that I've been doing, it looks as though the datastore for these security services will contain identities and credentials *only* in the case of a service that is maintaining its own ID mapping and/or password database.

In the case of our services, we pass the authentication routine off to an Active Directory domain controller using this smb.conf option:

    security                            = ADS

Furthermore, on our newer systems, authorization (UID and GID resolution) is performed on our services in one of two ways:

1)  Sourced from ADS through a name serviced caching daemon (`sssd` via nss):

    idmap config * : backend            = nss

2)  Stored locally in /etc/passwd and /etc/group

In neither of these cases do the Samba service store their own ID mapping using TDBSAM.

We *do* have an older (2.5) version which does not seem to have configuration options for 'idmap config*:'.  Can the list recommend a way to determine definitively what the id-mapping routine used by this older system is?

These facts seem to suggest that an attacker who gained access to these services on our systems would not actually acquire any useful information.  Can you share your comments on this argument?

Finally, can anyone recommend a penetration test or simulation of this attack so that my group can try it out for ourselves against our own systems?

Thank you so much for your help as always!

Stewart Howard

Indiana University