[Samba] Previously extended schema not working in 4.4.0

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:37:33 UTC 2016

Thank you, Andrew - I hadn't done so. (In a good way, I haven't yet had
problems with samba that have caused me to delve quite so deeply into the
DB :) so I'm not as familiar with the range of tools as I could be, sorry!)

This has flagged up quite a few errors, all along the lines of:

# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
Checking 4079 objects
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00290001
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x0029000a
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00290004
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x0009030e
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00090001
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020119
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020002
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00020001
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk: 0x00000000
ERROR: incorrect attributeID values in replPropertyMetaData on
MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk

Not fixing incorrect value 0x00290004 with 0xbd27f4d3 for myAttr in
replPropertyMetaData on MYOBJ=value,OU=myou,DC=mydomain,DC=org,DC=uk

[this is repeated many times, for multiple objects]
[ sometimes ERROR: duplicate attributeID values ]

Please use --fix to fix these errors
Checked 4083 objects (110 errors)

Before I run again with --fix...
  - I will take a dump (using ldapsearch) of this OU before I do anything
  - I don't know what the different codes e.g. 0x00290001, represent - or
even why there are multiple of these per object. The actual numbers vary
from one to the next; there is some overlap but also different values given
  - I'm not sure what --fix will do if it finds an "incorrect" values;
where will it get the right value from?

I guess, as long as I have a dump of the OU, at worst I could drop the
entire contents and re-create it, should --fix not do what I expect..

I don't know why this happened; perhaps it was something to do with my
upgrade method from 4.3.x to 4.4.0 (compile 4.4.0; make install; restart
samba). I've used that same recipe many times to go from 4.1.x - 4.2.x -
4.3.x and that has always worked fine, but maybe I have been lucky (or
unlucky?) in some way..
.
Many thanks!

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"