[Samba] Owncloud authentication error after upgrade

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Wed Apr 13 20:06:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

after we upgrade our DC today to Samba-Version
4.2.11-SerNet-Ubuntu-9.trusty. We get an authentication-error wenn
Owncloud is trying to authenticat a user. The only error-message we got was:

user_ldap	Bind failed: 8: Strong(er) authentication required

This is the smb.conf:
-----------------------------
[global]
        workgroup = XXXXXXX
        realm = XXXXXXX.INTERN
        netbios name = XXX-AD01
        dns forwarder = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
        wins support = yes
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        client ldap sasl wrapping = plain
[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/XXXXXXX.intern/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

We added this line:
client ldap sasl wrapping = plain
because we saw this thought this will help, but didn't. Has anyone a
solution?

Stefan