[Samba] samba dns

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Apr 13 14:29:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Sonic wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Sketch <smblist at rednsx.org> wrote:
>> My guess would be not much, because BIND9_DLZ exists and (mostly) gives you
>> the best of both worlds.  If you want to use bind with MS DNS servers, then
>> you have to go that route, but it's not necessary with Samba 4 and
>> BIND9_DLZ.
>
> That's clear but I was thinking more of the analogous configuration
> where I continue to use NSD instead of BIND9_DLZ (or Samba).

My understanding of Unbound is that designed as a caching nameserver, not
an authoratative nameserver.  It's supposed to serve DNS to clients from
another server, such as BIND or Samba's internal DNS server.  Pointing it
to your domain's authoratative Samba/BIND9_DLZ DNS servers seems like the
proper way to set it up to me.