[Samba] net join fail

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 12 15:12:31 UTC 2016

On 12/04/16 15:30, John Rowe wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Rowland:
>
> On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 12:21 +0100, Rowland penny wrote:
>> Try again without the 'createcomputer="xxCOMPUTER"', your computer
>> seems
>> to already exist:
>>
>> The machine account already exists in the specified OU.
> I am told this is in fact a necessary feature: xxCOMPUTER is a class of
> computers we are allowed to be one.
>
> John

OK, I think I may have mis-understood your redaction, I thought it was a
computer name, but I now think it is an OU path.
Either way, the computer already seems to exist in AD and as such, when
the join tries to create the SPN, it fails because it already exists.

Now, you cannot have objects in AD with duplicate names, so try joining
without the option, it may work and if it doesn't, then get the computer
object in AD deleted and start again.

Rowland