[Samba] failed to find NT AUTHORITY domain log message during backup windows

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 22:10:03 UTC 2016

It sounds as though there are files on your servers owned by a UID or GID
(most probably a GID) that is not in /etc/group, and is being looked up and
"reverse resolved" to 'NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users', but this somehow
doesn't map back the other way, i.e. from a name to a GID.

Can you narrow it down and perhaps use the 'find' command to see what
UID/GID this is?

On 11 April 2016 at 20:11, Joseph Dickson <jdickson at evolvetsi.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm running domain member fileservers on Samba 4.3.6..  During my backup
> window (backups are performed via Bacula, running on the fileserver) I tend
> to receive spurts of the following log message:
>
> Apr 10 16:55:18 smbfs1 winbindd[2376]: [2016/04/10 16:55:18.111192,  0]
> ../source3/winbindd/winbindd_group.c:45(fill_grent)
> Apr 10 16:55:18 smbfs1 winbindd[2376]:   Failed to find domain 'NT
> AUTHORITY'. Check connection to trusted domains!
>
> Nothing seems to be working incorrectly, other than I get quite a lot of
> these log messages during my backups.. I've done some googling around and
> couldn't find something that seemed to fit, though this message has been
> discussed several places..
>
> Through experimentation, I have found that I can cause this error in the
> log by issuing the following:
>
> # getent group 'NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users'
>
> The getent doesn't return anything, and if I look in the logs I'll have
> this error message..  Can anyone suggest what might be going on, and where
> I might look?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *Joseph Dickson*
> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein