[Samba] SYSVOL Replication in a Windows-driven AD environment

Isaiah Olson insignia96 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:34:11 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

So, I am working with an AD environment where there is one 2008R2 DC (which
holds the PDC emulator FSMO role) and one Samba DC running on Ubuntu 14.04
(Samba Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu). I have been trying to set up the rsync
workaround for SYSVOL replication, but I've been unable to get it working
properly due to the inability to compile rsync with xattr support under
Windows. My question is, are there any other workarounds available? Or does
anyone know of an rsync binary for Windows that has proper ACL and xattr
support?

As an aside, if I can't get this to work properly, what is my best course
of action? Is there a good way to ensure that my Samba DC isn't serving
outdated versions of the SYSVOL share?

Thanks,
Isaiah