[Samba] GPO, multiple DCs, sites and sysvol

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Fri Apr 8 07:31:52 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I recently realized that using multiple DC has a major drawback when
using Samba

In my understanding, in a classical AD environment, sysvol share is
supposed to be a DFS share. This means that proximity rules are applied
when accessing to it.

When using samba it seems that we face a classical round-robin DNS,
which can lead to the situation where a machine on site A tries to fetch
its GPO (and scripts, and software) from a DC on site B (as per Murphy's
law, the slowest is the link between the two sites, the higher the
chances to use it).

Did I miss something?

Regards