[Samba] Updating from 4.1 + CTDB to 4.2/CTDB?

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri Apr 8 04:07:49 UTC 2016

Hi Jarrod,

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:09:54 +0000, "Smith, Jarrod A"
<jarrod.smith at Vanderbilt.Edu> wrote:

> We are about to upgrade to Samba 4.2.9 from sernet-samba 4.1.6 + CTDB
> 1.0.114.7 running on top of GPFS.  My understanding is that as of
> 4.2, CTDB is now part of Samba.  So does this mean we need to
> uninstall all of our sernet-samba and ctdb RPMs (we are on CentOS 6),
> then install the sernet-samba 4.2.9 rpms and reconfigure everything
> for CTDB?  For those who have done this, how different does CTDB look
> in the samba 4.2 tree, vs. the older, separate packages?  I assume
> GPFS support is built-in with the sernet packages?

Although CTDB is now part of the Samba source tree, CTDB is still
usually shipped as a separate binary package.

At https://download.sernet.de/packages/samba/4.2/centos/6/x86_64/ (via
https://portal.enterprisesamba.com/) I can see
sernet-samba-ctdb-4.2.9-19.el6.x86_64.rpm.

This looks to contain the standard CTDB stuff.

Although CTDB has gone through a lot of changes in recent years, the
core configuration should be similar to what you already have.

> Any advice appreciated - trying to get this knocked out before April 12...

That could be challenging.  Apart from suggesting that you watch the
logs carefully when starting CTDB, I would suggest contacting SerNet if
you are using their packages.

peace & happiness,
martin