[Samba] Samba as AD-Controller: unable to update policies and call start scripts

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 7 20:07:57 UTC 2016

On 07/04/16 20:45, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I have an Ubuntu 14.04 Server with Samba 4.1.6 acting as Active Directory
> controller.
>
> I worked 'till today, now I tried to join a new PC to the domain and it does
> not work...
>
> Problems: start and shutdown scripts are NOT called at all, logon scripts are
> called on the first PC, but not in the new one.
> The new PC did not receive the policies and did not mount the shares.
>
> gpupdate says that it was not possible to load the policies located at
> \\cch.intra\SysVol\cch.intra\Policies\...
>
> This is very strange, since the Server's name is DC1, not cch.intra
> (cch.intra is the domain).
>
> I tried to connect to \\cch.intra\SysVol, but of course this is not
> reachable, but \\dc1\SysVol is reachable.
>
> Has anyone an idea what can be the problem and (most important!) how can I
> solve it?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
> Luca Bertoncello
> (lucabert at lucabert.de)

I think you will find this is the sharepath of the sysvol directory on
the DC, i.e. on a self compiled Samba it will be:

[sysvol]
         read only = No

What I think you are un-aware of is, the sysvol dir is not synced
between DCs, so your sysvol on your second DC may only contain the
default GPOs, see here for more info:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_replication_%28DFS-R%29

Rowland