[Samba] DNS issues after FSMO seize

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 5 14:02:23 UTC 2016

On 05/04/16 14:33, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 05.04.2016 um 15:11 schrieb Rowland penny:
>> This is the problem I found with the internal dns, you only get one SOA
>> record, even if you add other DC NS & A records to the SOA. Bind works
>> differently, you still have to add DC NS & A records to the SOA, but
>> then every DC claims to have a SOA
>
> please fix your wording (again)!
>
> * there can be only *one* SOA inside a dns zone

On a normal DNS zone, yes, but we are talking AD DNS here and there is
only one SOA record in AD (well per zone)

> * the server beeing SOA can have one or more auth NS records

Agreed

> "you only get one SOA record" is technically wrong

Well there you have me, technically you are correct and I am wrong, but
what I meant was, with the internal DNS, no matter what DC you ask, it
will return the first provisioned DC as the one and only SOA, whilst
with BIND9_DLZ every DC returns itself as being the SOA (this is what
windows DCs return)

Rowland