[Samba] DNS issues after FSMO seize

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Apr 5 13:46:05 UTC 2016

Ok Mathias..

I hoop this helps a bit.
https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc816941(v=ws.10).aspx

now type :
nslookup -type=soa internal.domain.tld
or
nslookup -debug -type=soa internal.domain.tld
and look at
nslookup -debug -type=soa internal.domain.tld ip_of_a_NS1-server.
nslookup -debug -type=soa internal.domain.tld ip_of_a_NS2-server.

And see..

The soa record contains only 1 ! MNAME record.
The MNAME is (always/should_be) the primary dns server.
( see RFC/links below its in there)
( primary = first in this example )

In DNS with AD integrated zone, which has multi-master replication,
There is still only 1 MNAME field in SOA since there is only 1 SOA per zone.

! Often the server with FSMO roles, because its the first installed server.
But if you split the FSMO roles per server this can be different.
The MNAME field in the SOA record, "should" be the primary dns server.
but this is often ignored.

Well, to explain DNS.. you need the dns list.. and this is the samba list.
sorry but it is, we are welkom to helpout, so try to keep it nice.
But i know.. you want to learn and understand and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some good info here.
http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2181&tag=Clarifications-to-the-DNS-Specification

This one is most usefull imo, but its a lot to handle.
https://www.isc.org/community/rfcs/dns/

Greetz,

Louis