[Samba] Repeat core dumps due to libgcrypt?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Apr 5 07:50:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 14:48 -0600, Ochressandro Rettinger wrote:
>  	Hi, sorry.  I have spent about 4 hours googling, and had no
> luck.
> I'm getting repeat core dumps out of smbd, and nothing I've gotten
> from
> the log file has successfully pointed me at any indication that
> anyone
> else has posted about this problem before.
>
> ------
>
> libgcrypt selftest: binary  (0): Selftest failed
> (/lib64/.libgcrypt.so.11.hmac)
> fatal error in libgcrypt, file visibility.c, line 1250, function
> gcry_create_nonce: called in non-operational state

This is very interesting.  I think you are linking to an older version
of gnutls, perhaps upgrade your OS, as the newer versions use libnettle
and so perhaps that avoids the issue.

I don't normally suggest changing the OS to fix a Samba issue, but this
is a bid different:

What is happening here is that when we spawn a child to check the print
queues, that is failing to connect to your cups server over HTTPS
because of some issue inside gcrypt, use by gnutls, used by cups.

Otherwise, perhaps if CUPS is on the same host, avoid using SSL to talk
to it?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett