[Samba] setup-sysvol-bidirectional.sh unable to id administrator

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 4 11:56:04 UTC 2016

On 04/04/16 10:07, mathias dufresne wrote:
> I expect Winbind on DC do NOT retrieve home dir, by design.

Well, not by design, the code to do this hasn't been written yet :-)

> DC are not meant to be used by AD users, no session from standard users on
> DC, never.
> DC are meant to discuss with Windows clients and with tools as SSSD,

sssd isn't a Samba tool and the fact they work with a DC is down to the
work done by sssd devs.

> Winbind or nslcd which use AD as a users database. This tools are
> configurable enough to use the database to make what we want on member
> servers.
>
> Winbind generates users from AD using "primaryGroupID" for GID and
> something else for UID (I still don't know exactly how is chosen that UID)

It all depends on where winbind is running and secondly on what winbind
backend is being used. On a DC, you can only use idmap.ldb and this
assigns IDs on a first come basis.
On a domain member there are numerous backends available and each has
their own manpage.

Rowland