[Samba] Upgrading Samba 3 to Samba 4 - Domain Controller unreachable

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:59:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:
> On debian there is a script called samba in /etc/init.d , it starts smbd &
> nmbd *or* samba, if it doesn't find 'server role = active directory domain
> controller' in smb.conf , it doesn't try to start the samba deamon.

Odd that they do that when in the default mode (using systemd).
Apparently makes for more backward compatibility. However, the
systemctl start and stop commands still work for nmbd and smbd (of
course, as running the samba init file calls systemctl).

As I compiled Samba from source it was certainly easier to write the
service files then attempting the complexity of the init files.