[Samba] Upgrading Samba 3 to Samba 4 - Domain Controller unreachable

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:37:07 UTC 2016

[global]
        server max protocol = SMB2
# Line above added by lbarone - March 30, 2016
        name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
        write list = @domainadmins
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
        admin users = machine,add,lbarone, at domainadmins
        smb ports = 139
        lock directory = /var/cache/samba
        preserve case = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        netbios name = jmac
        printing = lprng
        logon script = login.bat
        local master = yes
        workgroup = jmc
        os level = 255
        printcap name = /dev/null
        security = user
        disable spoolss = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        load printers = yes
        logon drive = h:
        domain master = yes
        interfaces = eth1
        encrypt passwords = true
        wins support = yes
        server string = jmac
        wide links = no
        path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
        unix password sync = true
        preferred master = yes
        bind interfaces only = yes
        pam password change = yes
        domain logons = yes
        dns proxy = yes
idmap config * : range = 1000-1999999
# Above line added by lbarone - March 29, 2016

################## SHARES ########################

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/share/netlogon
        browseable = no
        ##profile acls = yes
        write list = @domainadmins
        inherit permissions = yes

[homes]
        browseable = no
        read only = no
        path = /home/%U/

[Programs]
        path = /usr/local/share/Apps/NetApps
        inherit permissions = yes
        writeable = yes

[Windsor]
        path = /usr/local/share/Windsor
        inherit permissions = yes
        writeable = yes

[Career]
        path = /usr/local/share/Staff/CLA/Career
        inherit permissions = yes
        writeable = yes
        comment = Career Programs

[Office]
        path = /usr/local/share/Office
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[Admin]
        path = /usr/local/share/Admin
        inherit permissions = yes
        writeable = yes

[Student_Share]
        comment = Classwork Share
        path = /usr/local/share/Student
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[Tech_Tips]
        comment = Tech Applications and tips. Public to see/read.
        path = /usr/local/share/TECH_TIPS
        writeable = yes
        valid users = @staff
        inherit permissions = yes

[Tech_Apps]
        comment = Tech Applications.
        path = /usr/local/share/Tech_Apps
        writeable = no
        inherit permissions = yes
        valid users = @domainadmins, at admin
        browseable = no

[DropBox]
        comment = Classwork Hand-in
        path = /usr/local/share/Classwork
        writeable = yes
        create mode = 700
        force directory mode = 1777
        inherit owner = yes

[SSS]
        comment = Student Support Services
        path = /usr/local/share/Staff/SSS
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[JMC]
        comment = JMC Global Share
        path = /usr/local/share/Staff/JMC
        writeable = yes
        write list = @staff
        read list = @staff

[DRC]
        comment = DRC
        path = /usr/local/share/Staff/DRC
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[CLA]
        comment = CLA
        path = /usr/local/share/Staff/CLA
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[YAPS]
        path = /usr/local/share/YAPS
        inherit permissions = yes
        writeable = yes

[IMAGES]
        comment = System images. Keep out.
        path = /usr/local/share/IMAGES
        valid users = blast,lbarone, at domainadmins
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[Printer_Drivers]
        comment = Printer Drivers for any printers in the building.
        path = /usr/local/share/Printer_Drivers
        writeable = no
        inherit permissions = yes

I commented when and where I changed the file, based on advice from various
forums when I was trying to figure out this issue. The upgrade occurred on
March 17th, so the changes I made were after issues were reported to me.